Are you an Aussie craving the perfect snow holiday? We highly rate Nozawa Onsen, a hidden gem nestled in the Japanese Alps. While Australia has its fair share of stunning landscapes, nothing quite compares to the magic of a winter escape to this charming Japanese village. Here's why Nozawa Onsen is the ultimate snow paradise for Australians:
1. Abundant Powder Snow: Nozawa Onsen receives some of the most consistent and abundant snowfall in Japan. With over 12 meters of snow each season, it's a powder hound's dream come true. Ski or snowboard down pristine slopes and enjoy the thrill of untouched snow.
2. Authentic Japanese Culture: Nozawa Onsen is not just about snow; it's about immersing yourself in Japanese culture. The village exudes a traditional atmosphere with its wooden architecture, hot springs (onsen), and friendly locals. Experience the charm of Japan without the crowds of major tourist destinations.
3. Fantastic Skiing and Snowboarding: Whether you're a beginner or an advanced skier or snowboarder, Nozawa Onsen has something for everyone. With a variety of slopes catering to all levels, you can progress at your own pace and even take lessons from experienced instructors. 40% of runs are beginner friendly, meaning theres plenty of terrain to explore even if you are just starting out
4. Free Onsen Baths: After a day on the slopes, there's nothing like soaking in one of the village's natural hot spring baths. Many accommodations offer free access to these therapeutic onsen, allowing you to relax and rejuvenate your body.
5. Foodie Paradise: Japanese cuisine in Nozawa Onsen is a delightful journey for your taste buds. Savor fresh sushi, hot pots, and local delicacies at charming eateries. Don't miss the renowned "Nabe Yaki Udon" - a hearty hot udon noodle dish cooked right at your table. The village has over 30 restaurants, many are very easy to walk to.
6. Family-Friendly: Nozawa Onsen is a safe and welcoming destination for families. Kids will love the snow and the village's family-friendly atmosphere. Childcare services and ski schools are readily available with English speaking carers and instructors.
7. Easy Access: Getting to Nozawa Onsen is a breeze for Aussies. Direct flights to Tokyo are readily available, and from there, it's a convenient shinkansen (bullet train) ride to Iiyama Station, followed by a short bus ride to the village.
8. Apres-Ski Fun: Nozawa Onsen has a lively après-ski scene. Join fellow travellers at cozy bars and pubs for a drink or two, or visit the local sake breweries to taste some of Japan's finest rice wine.
A winter wonderland awaits you in Nozawa Onsen. Whether you're seeking adventure on the slopes, cultural exploration, or simply a tranquil escape from the daily grind, this charming Japanese village has it all. So, pack your winter gear, grab your skis or snowboard, and get ready for an unforgettable snow holiday in Nozawa Onsen.